Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

The Power of Words

Words are powerful.  Words can influence.  Words can impact.  Words can encourage.  The power of words can affect the individual as well as others.

Words can change a person.

Why is it important to understand that?  It's because using that power can help you as an individual improve and go towards your goals.  Today, I spent a lot of my time online.  Not just bumming around, but studying.  I have this weird addiction to running and I like studying about it.  The words I read not only help my knowledge and understanding, but it also is an encouragement to me to continue to push forward with my training.

When I make goals, and I want to do as much as I can to achieve it, I do a couple things.  First of all, I write down the goal with my own hand and I put it somewhere that I can see regularly.  The physical reminder, as well as knowing that I wrote it pushes me to take steps to accomplish the goal.  The second thing I do is announce it to my friends, telling them about my goal.  Using my own mouth, I let them know what's going on in my life and what I am aiming to accomplish.  Once again, I've put myself in a position where I have said something, pushing me to take the right steps.  It also lets other people know that I am running towards my goal, and when I see them later, they'll ask me how I'm doing and what I'm doing to accomplish my goal.  There may be pressure from telling your friends (to me, I'd like to think that a man is only as good as his word) but at the same time, they become a source of encouragement, people you can rely on to cheer you on as you take steps, believing that you could do it.  The words of encouragement becomes the supporting hands when doubt comes my way.  I know that whenever I'm in a slump, whenever I feel too tired to move on, there are people that push me through that... using the power of words.

I hope that as I write this blog, these words become a source of encouragement or inspiration to others to push forward towards their goal.  Just as I have friends that support me, I would like to support them... and not only them, but to everyone I can and make a difference in their lives.

As a side note, I also made a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/runtofinish so if you have a facebook, please 'like' it and ask other friends to 'like' it so that they might be able to find words of encouragement.  Today, I walked for a little bit to loosen up my legs, and now I can't wait to wake up in the morning to go for a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment