Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Running and Family

Being a single guy, it's pretty easy for me to find time to run.  However, I do have two sisters living about 30 minutes away from me.  If I have to choose to run or hang out with my sisters... I would hang out with my sister and run at another time.  The thing is, to me, family is important.  Years ago, I watched CSI: Miami, and I remember a quote which goes something like this, "Family... is what we all want."  Looking into it, I can see that family is where we feel the most accepted.  It's not just our blood relatives that are our family.  We have friends that are so close to us that they are family to us as well.  

In my list of priorities, my family is definitely higher than my passion towards running.  It's not because my passion for running isn't that strong.  It's because my appreciation and love for my family is stronger.  People know (from how much I talk) that I am passionate about my running, and when I show others that I'm not going to run today because I need to visit my sister or do something, they realize how much more important my family is to me.  Running... is pretty much my life.  I enjoy it, I talk about it all the time, and I use it to connect with people.  Family is even more important.  For family, I would sacrifice my running, and it would be worth it.

Sometime we forget the value of family, and we take it for granted.  We don't realize how important our family is... until we lose it.  I don't want to put myself in a position that I may regret, and knowing my priorities and what is truly important to me, I feel that it's important to live in that way.  Living our lives according to what we truly believe is important.  Today, I was able to only put in an hour and a half of exercise in the gym (cycling, calf raises, ab training, sauna) because I had a young adults group.  The people in that group are my family, my friends, and to hang out with them is something that I won't regret.

Let's make sure that when we follow our passions, we don't lose sight of what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment