Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Tortoise and the Hare

Everybody (well not really... but anyway...) knows Aesop's Fable about the Tortoise and the Hare.  Basically, the hare is a hotshot who is definitely faster than the tortoise, but because he decided to take a nap, it ended with him losing the race to the tortoise.  Why?  It's because he didn't finish what he started.  He took a nap, losing sight of his goal, and left the race unfinished.  The key to success is to finish what you started... and when you leave things unfinished, you won't succeed.

Since success can only occur when the job is finished, an unfinished job cannot be a success.  In running a 100 mile race, success is finishing the race.  In having a DNF (did not finish) you can't say you were successful.  It shows you tried, but couldn't finish.  In receiving a degree, you can't say that you're successful if you finished all but one required class.  You can only say you were successful once you finished EVERYTHING.

So where am I right now?  I'm in the middle of the race.  I'm training for a big race.  I could stop training right now... but that would impact the race I have in the future.  The most important goal that I've set for myself is to finish the race within 24 hours... I don't know how realistic this goal is... especially since it's my first 100 miler and it's at high elevation... but I think it's worth a shot.  Finishing is my ultimate goal, but if I can finish within that amount of time... it would be amazing.

Whatever you do, don't stop.  Don't give up.  Keep on trucking, because if you continually try, you will make it to the end and succeed.

Today, I was able to get in 5.05 miles in 39:28, an average of 7:48 min/mile.  Again, this is faster than what I'll be running the 100 miler... but as my body gets used to the continuous running, I'll be able to slow myself down and get to a point where I'll be able to continuously run and finish hard core races.  One step at a time, and never giving up, I'm going to achieve my goal by building a body that is capable of handling this ultra marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment