Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Resisting the Urge

Today was one of those hard days.  I had a lot on my plate and I had a deadline to keep.  I was tired and I FINALLY got everything done.  We had a retirement party right after that.  At the party, they served both cake and punch... and after a long day, I was tempted to partake in that.  However, I knew better than to do that... but still, it looked so good... one bite wouldn't hurt, would it?

Sometimes, things come up and we want to stray from our goal.  We get attacked by things that seem good for that moment.  We know it's good for only that moment and that in the long run, it's not good, but we still sometimes focus on the here and now.

Should we focus on the here and now and forget the future? NO.  Should we forget the here and now and focus on the future?  NO.  Just like everything else, there ought to be a balance between the two.  I do my best not to eat cake unless it is somebody's birthday, Christmas, or some other special day/holiday.  In order to balance myself, I look at how important my goal is, and base my guidelines according to that rule.  Goals help create those guidelines, and that helps with the individual's balance.  Focus on the future, but keep the here and now in mind.  Make decisions based off of what you truly want, weighing the options of both present and future.

In the end, I decided that it would be best for me if I did not eat.  I still enjoyed a good evening with my coworkers, but with less food in my body.  I had to be strong because this was a little less than two weeks til I run the race.  I needed to be not just physically strong, but mentally strong.  I needed to be able to push my body to do what I want it... to prove to myself that I am indeed in charge of my body, and I can make it do as I please.  Looking at the instant gratification it could have given me, and instead using self control to not eat the cake, I was able to take another step forward in the 12 hour race.  I am another step closer to being ready for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment