Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Resting

Sometimes, your body knows itself more than you do.  So listen to it.  Yesterday, for some reason, I was exhausted, and so I thought that I'd take a little nap before I write a blog... but I overslept my alarm and slept from 10:00 to 7:20.... a much needed rest.  I guess my body needed that break.  Today, after I woke up, I felt great!  My body was in tip top shape, and because I listened to it, I was able to be a lot more effective and attentive.  There is a time to push yourself, but at the same time, there's a time that you need to stop and take a break.  Tapering is one thing you can do to take a break before a big race, but even resting on a normal day can get you revitalized.

Putting burdens upon ourselves can tax our body in so many ways.  We usually don't give ourselves enough time to rest in order to make up for the amount of work and effort we put on our body.  As always, balance is essential in our lives.  Sometimes, we don't realize the stress we put upon ourselves.  Our minds adapt, and so does our body, but at times, we forget that our body isn't a machine, that it needs the rest in order to become stronger.  Not only does our body take a physical toll when we're up and about, but so does our mind.  It's isn't just the body that needs the break, but our mind does too, and we do take it lightly, pushing ourselves over and over again in order to keep on going.  That one day of rest really helped me out a lot, and I do hope that I start building a habit that will allow me to rest a lot more, as well as run a lot more.

As I listen to my body, I realize how important it is for me to take that extra hour and sleep.  I tend to stay awake a lot because I'm always doing something.  Some of the things I do is a waste of time, and other things I do is important to me.  I need to be able to figure out what is important to me and weed out the waste so that I would be able to have time for important things like sleep.

Today was another interval day, but instead of the on and off running that I would do, I did indoor soccer.  It was a fun 50 minutes, and I really pushed myself a lot.  I wasn't as tired as before because of the rest that I did, and I was able to work hard with the stop and go, and even managed to score a goal.  It was a great night and I really enjoyed working hard with a team.  It helped with my speed, and it helped with just having a good time with friends.  There's a lot of things we need, rest is one of them, and so is being with other people.  Balance it all out and you're on the road to success.  Whatever goal you have, taking the breaks and being with friends will help push you towards that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment