Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

Stop and Listen

For some reason, my car wasn't working right.  The brake lights were on whether I pushed the breaks down or not.  So I figured that it was about time that I stop putting my car jack under the brake to jack it up and stop that light, and just fix it instead.  So I went and looked in to see if I needed to tighten the brakes, and to my surprise, it was a quick and easy fix.  I looked in, saw that a pad was off and lying on the floor and all I needed to do was to glue it on, because once I would do that, it would push in the button that would stop the brake lights from turning on.  So I hurriedly bought glue to put it in.  I hastily glued the pad to the button... only to realize that there was a spare pad right beside that.  I shrugged and just let it set... and realized that I had glued the button shut, so now my brake lights would not turn on.  I took the little part out, and tried to cut the glue off... but to of no avail.  I had to get another part.  By then, I had spent $40 on a wrench set, which was an investment, and $4 on glue.  Now I had to pay $9 for a new part.  I quickly installed that, and put on the spare pad, and thought all was good... until the spare pad broke.

I took a break.

I came back later and decided that I would glue the pad to the proper place, and used the glue that I had bought and glued it on and now my car works just fine.  It took me 2 days to get to take a look and see what the problem is, and a little over an hour to actually fix the problem.  Why did it take so long?  It was due to me not trying to understand the problem, ignoring the problem, and not paying enough attention to the problem.  Had I looked carefully, I would have been able to fix the problem in less than 10 minutes.  I didn't stop, take my time to observe what happened, and what needed to happen, and take action from that.  If I had done that, I would have been able to prolong the need of the wrenches, and didn't need to buy another part, OR take that much time getting a simple part fixed.

Sometimes, we need to stop in life.  Not just take a break, but just realize where you're at and where you're going.  See what you need.  You need to listen to your peers, do some research, and not blindly run through life.  If you do, you can end up wasting a lot of energy, time, and money.  When you're going for a high goal, we might not have those luxuries, and we need to get up there as soon as possible.  For me and my running, that means that I need to properly do my research, and train according to what I know, and as I grow in knowledge, I would be able to grow in my running.  The more I know, the better decisions I can make.  I don't know if the decision to eat 25 wings last night was a good decision, but I know that not consuming alcohol was a good decision because I knew it would impact my running the next day.  I 'allowed' the consumption of 25 wings because I figured that I've been standing up and walking around for over 12 hours, along with a little exercise, I needed the protein to rush back into my system and charge up my muscles.

I've also figured out that in order to pursue my goals, I need to have a job that would complement my goals.  After doing a little research, I have figured out that I would probably need to go back to school.  I have been thinking about that for quite a long time, and right now, I'm very close to making a decision on getting a MS in Kinesiology.  Before I jump into that, however, I have sent 3 emails to different people that are in charge of the Kinesiology Department in the University of Tennessee, and they have gotten back to me regarding Kinesiology.  Thus far, I have been suggested that Kinesiology with a concentration in Sports Psychology and Motor Behavior may be best suited for me and my circumstance.  However, I will look into it and see what I can possibly do, and maybe with the help of the Department, able to figure out how the degree will complement my goals.  If I were to go for this MS degree, it would mean that I would start next year.  I need to be in a stable position, so that I would be ready to get back into being a college kid again.  I'll be fresh, I'll be ready, and I'll jump into it full speed and put all my concentration into it, so that I could get as much as I can out of it.

But first, I need to stop and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment