Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Circle of Life

As a Disney music freak, I listen to a lot of Disney songs.  The song that went straight to heart was the Circle of Life.  Part of the lyrics goes like this: "You should never take more than you give in the circle of life."  It's funny how things just keep popping up.  Yesterday, at work, I taught the kids about interdependence and how each living thing needs each other.  I put it in simple terms.  The wolf needs the rabbit because it's their source of food... of energy.  The rabbits need grass because THAT is their source of food.  Up til now, it was pretty simple.  Then I went on.... The wolves needs the grass because it provides the rabbits with energy so they could live.  The grass needs the wolves to keep the rabbit population down so that the grass wouldn't be eaten up.  Looking at this, the rabbits needs the wolves to keep the rabbit population down so that the grass wouldn't run out.  Interdependence shows that these three needs each other in order to survive as a whole.  Should one die out, it would impact the others.

Balance is key to our lives.  It keeps us in check, allowing us to survive and continually push forward.  In order for me to survive as a runner, I need to make sure that I get the proper amount of exercise I need, the proper amount of stretching, the proper amount of energy taken in, and the proper amounts of rest... I need to pay attention to a lot of things in order to do well.  Starting with a good balanced foundation, it's important for me to add more and constantly look at my life in perspective in order to balance it out as I add more to my plate.  Sometimes, when I add a lot of running, I need to add more food and more sleep, other times, I feel like what I just need is to get used to running that distance with only a slight difference on my food intake.  The human body can adapt to a certain degree (physically as well as psychologically) and when we put ourselves a little off balance, our bodies will automatically make a move in order to balance it out.  Some people call this torture.  I call this discipline.  The more we have control over what we do, the better we can control what happens to our bodies and what our bodies can handle.  Work towards being in control over your body and work smart.

(Yesterday, I was suppose to be taking a break, but at the end of the day, I ended up doing 2 hours of wallyball, making myself have to work hard and take a break today... I might decide to go running later though... but we'll see)

No comments:

Post a Comment