Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rice and Arsenic

Recently in the news, talks about how rice has arsenic has come up and spread like wildfire.  The levels of arsenic is higher in rice than most other foods, and because of that, a lot of people are concerned about what they're eating.  I for one, am a rice-eater.  I eat rice like crazy.  I eat rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner most days of the week.  Because of that, I felt that it was important to know more about what I'm putting in my body.

Raised in Japan, rice is a staple food item that is present in almost every single meal.  Rice in Japan is like the bread here in the US.  However, I compared the longevity between Japan and the US and see that according to the CIA World Fact Book, Japan is ranked 3rd with an average life expectancy of 83.91 years while the United States ranks 50th with an average life expectancy of 78.49 years.  Sticking with what Japan's been eating, I believe that I should be okay.

Fortunately, arsenic gets flushed out and does not stay within the body, so at this point, I'm not too worried about it.  I'll just have to wait for the FDA to approve or disapprove the consumption of rice.  I've been eating it all my life and it hasn't hurt me.  Why should it be hurting me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment