Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

100 Mile Race

I've never run a 100 mile race in my life... but it looks like it's about time for me to start.  I just signed up for my first 100 miler... the Leadville 100.  This is going to be an intense race, with an average of less than 50% finishers.  Fortunately, it's a first come, first serve deal, so since it was suppose to open up at 2pm Eastern Time, I made sure to get on the computer and refresh the computer til it came up, and was one of the first people to sign up for it.

A 100 miles isn't something that you can up and do.  It takes steps to get there... I'm worried that just signing up for one race isn't good enough.  Sometimes, when we set goals, we don't realize the gravity of the situation you're in and how much the goal is.  I remember the time when I got homework and it was a lot... but we had a lot of time to do it... then how is it that most of my classmates (including myself) chose to do the homework last minute rather than right away?  That's because we have a hard time pacing ourselves.  We have a harder time understanding the big picture, so how do we get around that?

Simple.

What I do in order to get through those things is to set up little steps that gets me up to that.  I'm planning on a 24 hour race June 1-2nd as a training run before my 100 miler.  That gives me 2 more months to figure out where I'm at and what I need to do.  However, before all that, I'm going to need to make sure to put other races in to ensure that I would be able to continuously train.  Continuously training is the only way to run the 100 mile race.  I have the 8 months... am I going to use it?  You bet I am.  I'm planning on putting steps in my 8 months where I'll have big races that will help push me forward to being able to run.  It all starts now.

Pace yourself and push forward, set up your own little goals that leads to your big goals... and you'll make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment