Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2013

You Only Do What You Want 2.0 (Power)

In a previous post, I mentioned that people only do what they want.  However, I want to go a little further because looking at it, I noticed some inconsistencies.  It's very true that we only do what we want, but it goes a tiny bit further because we only do what we want within the realm in which we can control.  For example, in a soccer match, there are two opponents.  Both wants to win.  According to my initial rule of thumb, they would both win.  However, it's impossible for that to happen.  There must be a winner and loser (unless there's a tie).  The difference between the two opposing forces is control.  Whoever has more 'power' will get what they want.  Sometimes, weaker teams will end up beating the strong ones, but that's only because they happened to have more 'power' during that certain match and things lined up.  It could be willpower, it could be pure strength.  It could be speed, or it could be technique.  One way or another, the 'power' rule works.  Whoever has more power will end up doing what they want.

Power is something that we all need in order to progress.  Power allows us to do what we want and if we are powerless, we are less likely to do what we want.  There are points where we blame the powerlessness for us doing things we don't 'want' to do, but let's make it clear when we could blame powerlessness for that.  In certain games and competitions, I believe that you could give credit to powerlessness for their loss.  However, when it comes to a friend wanting to do something and you wanting to do something else, but you're too shy to step up... it's not the powerlessness that causes you to do something else.  In this case, you chose what to do.  No one actually forced you to do it, it was just a hard decision where you valued the other person's opinion (maybe begrudgingly) and would rather do their way instead of fighting for your way.... but you know?  Even in those situations, you still have your priorities and you do what you want.  When it comes to a matter of skill vs skill, it's different.  However, if it's about one side 'giving up' then it's their choice and not a matter of being powerful or powerless.  (For running, I want to run at a 4 min mile for 10 miles but because I'm incapable of doing it, I can't do it.  Power does make a difference.)

It's good to be powerful because it gives you the freedom to choose what you want to do.  Today, I chose to go out and run a little bit.  I ended up running 5.9 miles in 44:25, an average of 7:31 min/mile.  I was glad to run at that pace because after my previous run, I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get back to where I needed to be.  It looks like I'll be able to get back on track for the next 50k.  The more I train, the more power I'll have during the races I do.  My goal is to get the power to be able to do what I want.  With that training, I'll be able to achieve just that.  Let's see how bad I really do want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment