Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Change of Plans!

Things happen.  Friends come over to visit, car breaks down, your alarm didn't wake you up... something happens, changing your schedule around.  So what do we do about it?  Worry?  Complain?  Those two things won't change the outcome of the situation, but we hear them a lot of the time.  Does worrying solve things? Does complaining solve anything?  No.  What should you do then?

Deal with it.

Things happen when you're least expecting it, and you know... some of the things are out of our control.  What's in our control is how we react to the situation at hand.  If we worry about it and complain, it does no good.  In fact, it will lower the chances of us having a good reaction to the situation at hand.  Don't worry and don't complain.  THINK of what you can do.  Make the right decisions by looking to the options available and making choices.

Whenever I plan different things out, I don't expect it to happen exactly as I planned because I'm used to things happening.  On some of my runs, I change my mind as I run.  I look at how much time I have, and how I feel, and based off of that, I might change my 6 mile run to an 8 mile, or maybe down to a 4 mile.  When things happen, it's good to be prepared to make changes happen, because the sooner and quicker you react, the more time you'll have to make that happen.  I do my best to look at what's going on and make quick plan changes.  Sometimes, it doesn't work that well, and other times, it works just as I had (re)planned, or even better.  You never know what's going to happen, but one thing I know for sure.  I make the best of the situation.

I woke up early this morning, ran 8.37 miles in 1:02:01 which was an average of 7:21 min/mile.  It was a pretty good pace, and I was happy to be able to run that and only stop because I needed to go to work.  As soon as work was out, I planned to go running, but due to different events going on, I decided that I would just run later that night.  I did go to Barnes and Nobles to get myself a book written by Dean Karnazes, and bought two, Run! and Ultra Marathon Man.  Little did I know that things would start to take a turn.  While driving to a young adults group I attend, I looked and saw that I was missing one of my keys... and since I knew I had it yesterday, it meant that between yesterday and today, it went somewhere...  I ended up not running tonight... and after an hour or so of looking, I FINALLY found the key.  My relief was instantaneous, and all was well... except for the fact that I did not get my night run done.  This would mean that I would once again go for a long run tomorrow.  As I have a lot of stuff I need to do in the morning, my morning run would be minimal, but I am hoping that once the afternoon rolls around, I would be able to run outside and enjoy the rest of the day.

It's not exactly the perfect day about to happen... but I'm going to make it the best day I possibly can, and work towards my goal.  No matter what happens, it won't affect me from going to my goal, but instead, HOW I get to the goal.

I'm flexible with the things that go on in my life, and because of the flexibility, whatever situation comes up, I'm usually laid back about it, and am able to work it out.  If you think fast and hard enough, you'll figure something out.  It might not be the best... but it'll be something.  And 'something' is always better than 'nothing'.

No comments:

Post a Comment