Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Confidence in Times of Weakness

There's a time when we feel weak, when we're not at our best and we look at ourselves and see the blemishes that are part of us.  We see that there are times we have failed, and because of that, we want to give up on what we want to do... maybe run away because we don't think we can do it.

We all have our days when we lack the confidence we need.  It can bring us down.  It can make us feel worthless... but are we worthless?  Should we be down?  Are we to take it and look at the glass half empty?  No! That shouldn't ever be the case.  We know that, yet we're still stuck.  How can we break free of that and build our confidence?  Facing it alone can be rather frightening, so that's where friends can come in.

One of my favorite quotes that I heard Nina, a friend of mine, say is this:  Friends will never get in your way, unless you happen to be going down.

Some days we don't have enough confidence for ourselves.  During those times, we have friends that back us up, believe in us, and give us that confidence that we need to get us back on our feet.  Those are the friends that have a heart for us.  Those are the ones you want to keep close, because when you're feeling low... you're going to need someone to help you up.  We can't make it through life alone.  Just like an endurance race, we need others to support us.  It doesn't have to be a friend.  It can be a co-worker, the guy you met at the restaurant... anyone.  So when you see someone needing a confidence boost... make it count.

Today was another awesome day.  I did interval running to The RUSH, alternating jogs and fast runs in order to push the body to run faster.  For 14 minutes, I jogged and ran and as time went on, the fast runs became harder.  After 14 minutes, I jogged the rest and finished the 2.76 miles in 20:31, an average of 7:25 min/mile.  At the gym, I did my one set of pull ups (17) and one set of push ups (45) and then cycled for 30 minutes because today was a short day.  Then, I proceeded to do some vertical lunges to work on my hamstring/quads as well as my core, and managed to get 100 down for each leg.  After all that, I went to the sauna for 15 minutes and then jogged back to my place (1.77 miles in 14:24, an 8:07 min/mile pace).  Another day, another run... and some.

No comments:

Post a Comment