Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Train for Your Race

This upcoming race that I'm having is a 5k.  I haven't trained for it as much as I would have liked due to the fact that I'm also looking beyond that and seeing my 50 miler coming closer and closer.  However, I need to focus on what's more important, namely the 5k.  Training for a 5k means that I have to focus on 5k training and not on anything else.  Even though it's great that I can run for more than 10 miles at a time, it doesn't help me run the 3.1 miles that I would have to race.  I have a month to train, and in this one month, I plan on transforming my body into a 5k machine, improving my speed, and still keeping my endurance in check.

Because I am training for the 5k, I can't do as much on the long runs because it wouldn't help me with my focus.  Because I am training for the 5k, I have to shorten my medium distance.  Because of my focus on the 5k, my whole training regiment is changed... different than what I'm used to.  Starting tomorrow, I plan on running in the mornings and work out at the gym in the evenings.  I would rotate speed days with long days and breaks.  During my training for my best marathon time, I made sure that I had a good amount of training on speed, because I wanted to run fast.  In the same way, for this 5k, I'm going to be stepping up on speed and working on chiseling my body into that of a fast 5k runner.


My race is a 5k, not a 50 miler.  That means that my training needs to be oriented towards that.


When you have a goal in mind, train for it.  Work towards it.  Don't get distracted by another race or another goal.  Work towards your goal and achieve it.


Today, I was going to do a short and fast work out, but my legs weren't really feeling it, so I decided that I'd just work out at the gym and did 20 pull ups, 50 push ups, and 30 minutes on the stationary bike.  Now to get ready for tomorrow morning's training...

No comments:

Post a Comment