Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Work and Rest

Today was another average day... except I was in North Carolina visiting my friend.  Normally, I'd be running and whatnot, but today, we just chilled.  Aaron, Tasha, and I went out geocaching and we enjoyed the outdoors quite a bit.  Nothing too strenuous, but considering the amount of stress I was putting on my body for the last few days, today was definitely another day where I needed some rest.

When we push our bodies hard, we need to rest a lot.  When we just use our bodies but not too much, the amount of rest we need isn't as much.  Depending on the amount of effort you put into the day, your body will react to it by 'needing' breaks that match to your activities.  In the same way, when training, if you have a couple days where you push yourself hard, you'll need a couple days to take off to recover.  Muscles takes roughly 48 hours to recover, but that doesn't account for extended damages.  When training for a long run such as a marathon, our bodies require a longer period of rest in order to help the muscles recover from the extreme training.

Over the past few days, I've been working hard running and exercising at the gym.  Because of that, my body has become slightly tired and demanded a break.  I took that break and enjoyed it, ready for another hard week to come up.  Starting tomorrow, I'm back into training.  Can't wait to start working hard and seeing positive results.

No comments:

Post a Comment