Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Passion

On facebook, ASICS had this little article about getting free shoes if I reply (and become top 3) to a tweet that Lolo Jones put out.  Her question was simple:

How are you pushing yourself?

Simple, right?  Well it turns out that it wasn't as simple as I thought.  The thing I kept on coming across is how little of a space you had to write what you wanted to tweet (still getting used to this whole 'tweeting' ordeal)... with the '@lolojones', I only had 129 characters to type this message.  At first I was thinking of something amazing like 'I push myself by making goals to break my limits,' or 'I push myself by looking at where I was and where I am and where I want to be...' but by the time I worded them the right way, it all turned out to be too long.  So I sat down and wondered what I was going to do... it had to be something simple, something that stood out as TRUTH! or something... and it came to me.

Whatever we do, we do because we want to do.  Then what's driving us towards that?  Why do we do things?  The reason that I came up with is because of passion.  If you are passionate about something, you really don't have any other choice BUT to push yourself forward.  My passion towards running was what drives me forward.  Sometimes, when I lose my focus, and thus 'lose' the passion, but if I was so passionate about something, there's nothing else I could do but to talk about it, share it with friends, and work towards becoming better.  Funny how things hit you when you think about the same questions over and over again.

Passion drives you forward.

(yesterday, I ran 10.38 miles.  I decided that I would go out for 45 minutes and get back under or at 45 minutes.  Little did I know that my wonderful plan included me finishing at the top of the hill... but nevertheless, I managed to finish in 1:26:19, a 8:19 min/mile average.  Not too shabby.  Today, I'm taking a break, and tomorrow... I'll have another one of those longer runs.  After crushing myself with a couple hard legs, I need to ease into running again, 1.5 hours every other day)

No comments:

Post a Comment