Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

The Importance of Being Earnest

Yesterday, I decided to find a new route, in order to see a different part of where I live (as I recently moved) and when I took that new route, I soon found out that this route would only serve as a speed workout.  The reason being that on the way out, I came upon two dogs, one a pit bull, and they both decided that it would be funny to chase after me and see if they could catch me.  Needless to say, I didn't want to be caught, and I sprinted as fast as I could in order to not get caught by those two dogs.  I ran as if my life depended on it, and even this morning, I could feel the soreness in my legs from running as fast as I possibly could for a certain amount of time.

If I had given up, they would have caught me, and I guess they would have bitten me or something, but because I didn't give up, I was able to live another day... of course, I had to go back that way too so I did a couple feints and ran past them yet again... the other dog was faster but didn't look as mean so I only had to really worry about the pit bull.  The pit bull wasn't as in shape so I just had to make sure I kept my dead sprint as long as I possibly could in order to not get bitten.  Silly that I was thinking about taking the two dogs on my own, but once I got a little closer to the pit bull, I decided against it.  Maybe next time, I'll bring a stick with me as the dogs chase me for about 200 meters...

The important thing was that I made it out alive, and I'm glad.  This run made me realize that when you have to push yourself... you can do it.  If you want to live, you'll do anything you can to make sure that you get through it.  If you lose that will, then you don't care as much and don't try.  When you're so passionate about something (such as staying alive) you give it your best and work as hard as possible to make it happen.  It shouldn't only be done in extreme circumstances, but also during the times when we are just working to improve ourselves.

Of course, after the dead sprint, I jogged extra slowly because I pushed a little too hard a little too much, but hey, for a moment, I was going pretty fast.  All in all, I ran 5.58 miles in 45:34, an average of 8:09 min/mile.  Not my fastest, but the main thing is... I made it out alive,

and by the way... I don't think I'll go back on that route again...

maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment