Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Enjoy Your Work

I dread waking up in the morning to go to work, I don't exactly enjoy what I do, and I look forward to the weekend.  Don't we all get tired of doing the things we need to do and just want to quit?  Well, sometimes, when I go for a run, I lose that joy and focus on the work and not appreciate it as much, forgetting the fun that running is for me.  I realized that I forget that joy when I focus on the numbers.  I like knowing how many miles I'm running, how fast I'm going... but being caught up with numbers, I began treating running like it was a job.  Something to do, and not something to enjoy.  Being caught in that trap, we forget how to enjoy life, how to enjoy what we're doing, and we get caught up looking at results and things we need to do.

Enjoy the moment, push hard because it's fun.  Don't forget that feeling of enjoyment as you're improving yourself.  As I rode my bicycle to school, it was a game.  My goal was to get there faster than I got there yesterday.  This time, I was armed with knowledge of a shorter way, so I took that road and went.  I made it to work cycling 15.96 miles in 1:01:14.  Knowing this route, I know that the next time I decide to go all out on that path, I would be able to make it in under an hour... maybe in 50 minutes if I get stronger and faster at cycling.  The possibility was endless... it was more than possible for me to improve and become able to ride faster and consistently.  On the way back, however, I had to go the safer route, riding 16.82 miles in 1:08:01, 2 minutes slower than yesterday.  Now it's understandable that I was slower because it was the second day in a row, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the time down on this also, and go under an hour. Now that this is a game, it's a little more fun.  Now with the hills, it's like a dare.  The hills are daring me to stop while I challenge myself to not.  It's a simple game, yet it always brings the best out of me.  I want to go up at a certain pace, but because of the steepness of the hill, it becomes hard.  On the way down, I want to see how fast I can get... and I push myself hard to see if I could keep up with the cars, using the draft from the car to go even faster.  It was fun...

After all this cycling fiasco, I went and played wallyball for 25 minutes, and then floor hockey for an hour and a half.  These two sports worked me pretty hard, but they were also fun.  Alongside the cycling that I did earlier, the two definitely pushed my body... but the most important thing about today was that the things that I did... was fun.  I enjoyed the cycling that I did, the sports that I did.

Now tomorrow, it's not going to be so great for me, because I would be a little tired from earlier, but at the same time, I'll take it easy and cycle slowly.  Enjoy my ride and push myself forward.  No matter what your goal is, don't forget to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment