Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What Makes Impossible Possible

Inspiration comes to those who listen to others who have done the 'impossible', and when hearing about it, what was 'impossible' now seems possible.  Possible, but at the same time, still pretty darn hard.  We look at Roger Bannister, the first person to break a 4 minute mile, and we see that after him, multiple people started breaking that 4 minute barrier.  You see, once the 'limit' was broken, it became possible.  The only thing that was blocking the individual was themselves.  Our mindset is the deciding factor on what is possible and what is impossible when it comes to such a close margin.  Logically, we know that it's impossible to run a mile in 2 minutes, but it's not impossible to lower the world record.  Records have been broken for a long time, and each year, some kind of record is broken.

We are inspired by those who have done what is impossible in our heads, and due to that, we ourselves are able to achieve more.  I like going on youtube and watching the extreme races that The North Face puts out and see how much the athletes run, how they conquer the race.  I read books by Dean Karnazes, and other runners to see what they did to get to where they are, or understand more about running.  I get inspiration through people who already have done it, and from that, I'm able to muster up my willpower and push through, training harder, longer, and not stopping.

I didn't run at all... I only cycled to work and cycled back.  On the way, I rode 16.71 miles in 1:02:38 (which included all the stop signs and traffic lights), and on the way back, I rode 16.81 miles in 1:06:07 (due to me being more tired and there being more ascents.  At the end of the day, I was tired.  I didn't want to go on.  I needed my break.  I thought about working out after taking a nap, but 'decided' to sleep at 8.  It was a long day...  This morning, I woke up and felt a little sore, but encouraged to cycle back to work.  I still have a long ways to go before cycling to work becomes something easy, but I know that it's not impossible.

Sometimes, I wonder why I'm training so hard... but I think about how badly I want to get top 5 in the upcoming race.  When you want something so bad, you have to drop everything else and work hard towards your goal.  If you want it badly enough, it's worth dropping everything else and reaching as high as you can towards your goal.  Whatever your goal may be, give it your best.  Nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment