Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Life With a Purpose

When you're saving money to buy a car, you work your usual 40 hr/week, saving part of the income in order to get to the point where you can afford to get that car.  Would you spend some of that money on the little things you don't need?  We may say no, but in life, that's exactly what we do.  We have goals and we have a purpose, we have a vision of who we want to become, but for some reason, we do things we don't need to be doing, we deviate from our original plan.  We find ourselves doing things that are counterproductive, working on things that don't need to be worked on...

When we have a goal, a purpose, we need to remember that the quickest way to get there is by making the right choices and working your way towards achieving it.  Detours prevents you from your course of action, and hinders you from achieving your goals.  When I go running or work out, that takes up to 4 hours of my day.  It may seem like a lot, but that's just 1/6 of my day.  Sure it impacts me and my goals towards running that 50 mile race, but that's not all that affects my path.  I still have 20 hours in the day.  It's not just what I do in the 4 hours that impacts my direction.  The 20 hours make a big impact to whether or not I am able to make it to my goal.

It's not just 4 hours that makes me an ultra runner.  It's what I do in the 24 hours that makes me who I am.  When you're pursuing your goal, it's not about what you do in part of your day.  It's all about what you do with your life.  It's your lifestyle that impacts your path.  I have 4 hours maximum where I would run, but I still have a lot of other things that I do that directs me towards my goal.  It's important for me to get enough nutrition so I make sure to cook myself a meal that benefits me.  It's important for me to get enough rest so I make sure that I take time to sleep the number of hours I need to sleep in order to rest up both my body and mind.  I can't afford to eat junk food or stay up late to surf the net.  I make my decisions based off of what I need to achieve my goal.

When you're pursuing your goal, you have to be committed to it.  It's your lifestyle that directs you towards your goal, not the small portions of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment