Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

Fit to Run

So on Saturday, I went on that epic journey (aka stupid run) of almost 22 miles, and for the next couple of days, my shoulders and back was a little sore from the run.  That showed me that my upper body was not at the place it needed to be for long distance running.  I needed to work on them in order to be able to run at my best.

Today, in order to combat that problem, I devised a really simple workout.  It would incorporate building strength in the upper body and lower body but without gaining muscle.  I did 4 sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 20 squats, 40 calf raises, and after that, did some shoulder exercises.  I feel that by doing that and continuing to do that every day would help me grow.

You have to be fit to run long distances, and it's more than just your legs.  Some people don't realize how important it is to train your upper body too.  There's more than meets the eye...

No comments:

Post a Comment