Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Post Holiday Slump

You know that feeling after the holidays, when you don't feel like going on and doing things?  Well I'm right there right now.  I just had the most glorious Christmas Day, and now I don't want to do anything.  I've probably gained a good amount and need something to keep me going.  Today, I didn't even go out for a run.  It was 'too cold and windy' and I didn't feel like it.  Instead, I spent the whole day cooped up doing a couple hundred push ups and calf raises and squats.  Yes it was a little bit, but it wasn't what I needed.  If I'm going to get through this... what should I do?

Well what I do is to jump back on it.  Every day you stay off lowers the chance you'll make a comeback.  The couple things I have in store for me that helps me continue my running is races.  By signing up for races, I'm forced to undergo some sort of training to finish it up.  Right now, being the end of the year, and after Christmas, it's tough on me to get back to that.  However, 2013 is coming, and I want to start counting exactly how many miles I've run in one year.  Usually I'm half-hearted about writing down how much I've run, but I think it'd be fun to see how many miles I've run in a whole year.

People get in slumps, so what do you do to get out of them?  Force yourself to take those baby steps and give yourself a little wakeup call.  One thing I'm going to do is to go to sleep early (yes... that means I'm getting off facebook and turning off the computer...) and wake up early to start my day out with a run.  I have a little more than a week left before my 50k in January, but since that's more or less a training run to get me ready for the big races, I'm not too fired up for it.  I'm still figuring out which races I'll be running, but since I'm hoping to get in the Leadville 100, we'll see what's in store for me when I sign up on January 1st.

Goals get you out of your slumps and the steps you take towards your goals helps push down the laziness that's put in you during the holidays.  Fight it head on and be strong.  Not excuses and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment