Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Future You

One thing that helps me take that extra step is when I look at the mirror and see what I could be.  I don't look at the mirror and see the me as I am, the dude that can run 20+ miles whenever I feel like it.  I look at the mirror and see what my goal is.  I blink once and I'm back, looking at where I am now.  Am I satisfied with where I am now?  Heck no.  There's so much I need to do.  Understanding where I'm at and not being satisfied with that, I can make changes that redirects me to where I need to be.  Tools like mirrors and the bathroom scales can be used for good.  I use them to look at where I can be.  Just as tools can be used for both good and evil, I tend to go towards the good side.  Never really understood the 'dwelling on where I am' sort of thinking.  I enjoy my time thinking about how to get to where I want to be... a much more exciting way to live.

The future is yet to be determined, and since it IS yet to be determined, it means that you're in control.  The future is in your hands, and since I have a certain future that I want, I'll have to work towards that.  Part of having that goal, that future, is that you would need to redirect yourself if you're not going towards it.  Instead, you would direct yourself to take the steps towards where you want to be.  If you want to be a world class writer, then it looks like you may have to start writing a little bit.  If you want to be a professional blogger (not me, haha) then you would blog like crazy and figure out how those hashtags work and get your blog out to as many people as possible.  If you want to be a professional runner, you're going to have to start running and taking care of yourself so that you get closer to sculpting your body to the way you want it to be.

Focus on the future you but don't forget the present you.  Work towards the future of your choosing, and that is what you will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment